National Heritage Week 2019
CONSERVATION BEST PRACTICE
Laurentinum, Doneraile, Co. Cork
Eircode: P51 RR52
Saturday 24th August, 11am – 4pm
To celebrate National Heritage Week 2019, Southgate Associates are hosting a Conservation Open House in the Georgian country house, Laurentinum, situated in Doneraile, Co. Cork.
- 11.00am Coffee and scones in the garden
- 11.30am Tour of House by building owner and Conservation Consultant Chris Southgate, followed by Question Time
- Midday – 12.30pm The Pastimes of the Gentry – talk by Flor Hurley, Archaeologist
- 1.00pm Bring your own picnic, and picnic in the gardens
- 1.00pm – 2.00pm The House Doctor – bring your historic house dilemmas (and photos) to the House Doctor team – happy to discuss your problems. Get in touch if you want to arrange an appointment.
- 2.00pm – 4.00pm
HOT LIME DEMONSTRATION WORKSHOP
Introduction by Chris Southgate, Conservation Engineer with Southgate Associates, and Damien Condon, Specialist Conservation Masonry, CALX Restoration, to working with Hot Lime.
- Preparation of Hot lime
- Chris Southgate conservation engineer joins with Damien Condon experienced lime practitioner to demonstrate and discuss the preparation of lime mortars using the historic Hot lime method
- Medieval pointing and plastering techniques and advice on specifying lime on practical building projects today including information on the discussion and debate of when to use Hot lime (3.00pm)
- ‘Have a go’ at lime pointing! (3,15pm)
- 3.00pm The Creagh Houses of Doneraile – talk by Flor Hurley, Archaeologist
- 4.00pm Tea and house tour with Chris Southgate
- 4.30pm Finish
To find out more about National Heritage Week 2019, click HERE